May 7, 2011

Mothers Day

Mother's day is a special holiday when we celebrate our mothers.  We get to honor the women in our lives who mean the most to us and thank them for all that they do.  With both this and the recent Easter holiday in mind, I would like to relate the following scriptures: 
"Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.
When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! 
Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home." -St John 19:25-27

While Jesus was on the cross, He made seven statements:
-"Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."
-"Woman, behold thy son!"
-"Behold thy mother!"
-"Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani? which is, being interpreted, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?"
-"I thirst"
-"It is finished!"
-"Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit."

Of these seven statements, two of them are directly about Jesus making sure that his mom will be taken care of.  Jesus "commended her to the care and protection of the beloved disciple, with the words, 'Woman, behold thy son!' and to John, 'Behold thy mother!'  The disciple tenderly led the heart-stricken Mary away from her dying Son, and "took her unto his own home,' thus immediately assuming the new relationship established by his dying Master."
It is important to notice the love that Jesus showed to His mother, especially at this painful time of his life.  Our mothers also deserve this attention and I'm grateful for this holiday that helps us to show it. 
I am personally grateful for my own mother and all that she has done and is doing for me.  I have always admired her example and relied on her testimony growing up.  She had a great influence on me deciding to serve a mission and has supported me through it all will letters and packages, for which I am very thankful.    No offense to all of you other moms, but I have the best one!  I love her and hope that she has a great mother's day.
Love ya Mom!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...