February 23, 2011

My Pioneer Heritage

Crossing the Sandridge, by Jeremy Winborg
This is a picture of my mom's, dad's, mom's, mom's mom and dad, or in other words my great, great, great grandparents.  Robert and Annie Brighton Thornley who were recently married traveled from their home in northern Utah in 1859 to pick up supplies.  While traveling, one of their oxen gave out in an area called the Sandridge.  They continued on for 20 miles with Robert sharing the yoke with the healthy ox.  When thy arrived at Maughan's Fort, the only food available was sugar beets, which they then lived on during the winter.  
I am so grateful for such a rich pioneer heritage.  Without these courageous men and women I would not be here today.  I am thankful for the legacy they have left me and all of the freedoms and blessings I enjoy because of them.  Their willingness to sacrifice greatly impresses me and let's me know that they had an unwavering testimony of the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...